Monday, January 25, 2010

A CANTICLE FOR LEIBOWITZ



I am about two thirds of the way through this excellent post-apocalyptic book. Some have suggested this might be the very first such book of its kind dealing with the survivors of a world-wide nuclear devastation. Maybe so. I’m not sure. But I can say that, so far, it is one very well-written and well-thought-out narrative dealing with how faith and the preservation of knowledge come into conflict with science and politics, and leads ultimately to yet another war.

Downside? My library copy has a very unfortunate cover. Makes it look like I’m reading some biography of a Catholic Saint who lived in the desert and memorized Augustine or something.

Trust me, this is a great sci-fi book that deals with fascinating ideas and contains more than a few surprising twists to keep you guessing. The end of the first third section of the book had me, literally, shouting “No way!” to my very surprised wife.

It’s totally worth seeking out, and if possible, a purchase.

No comments: