Thursday, December 27, 2007

Back In The Saddle?

I've been playing with the possibility of getting back into comic-scripting at some level.

First, there's a contest for writers running currently at an Image-based publisher to create an original super-heroine. Winners will be published in a 3 issue mini-series.

Second, I discovered an indie comics publisher that is soliciting for short comics on sci-fi, spy stories, slice-of-life stories, and pretty much everything else. I suggested my "Devil's Riding Horse" short with Kristian Donaldson might work. We'll see.

So, as 2008 looms ahead, what should I do with the creative and fiction ideas in my head?

The other day Lito and I were talking on the phone and almost accidentally we came up with a great concept for a story about a little African girl who is abducted from her village and sold into slavery here in pre-civil war America. It had me thinking about working it up as a complete story actually. We could weave into the plot about the underground railroad, the quilts which doubled as maps to freedom, etc.

At the same time, I've had to re-think several of my overly-ambitious schemes in light of keeping things simple and focusing on the needs of everyday people around me. I'm continually compelled to direct my energies towards making a difference in the lives of the poor in our community. After that is accomplished and the vision is solidified for that, perhaps a fiction story or script could emerge from the fingertips.

We shall see...

kg

No comments: